- 1949 - The late Paul Mellon and his wife donate a 420-acre farm in Middleburg to Virginia Tech.
The Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension (MARE) Center is devoted primarily
to beef cattle research until 1992.
- 1954 - The Virginia Cooperative Extension opens an office in
- 1963 - The College of Architecture and Urban Studies (CAUS) offers an
Urban Affairs and Planning graduate program.
- 1969 - Virginia Tech opens the door to its first Northern Virginia Graduate Center, located in a Reston farmhouse on Sunset Hill Road. Homer Kempfer is appointed the first director of the center. There are two resident faculty members, a part-time staff, and 65 students.
- 1970 - The College of Education offers graduate degrees in Adult Learning.
- 1971 - An economics program is initiated, doubling the number of resident faculty.
- Having outgrown space in a Reston farmhouse, Virginia Tech moves its graduate center to the first floor of the Dulles International
Airport Gateway 1 building.
- The College of Business offers an MBA degree.
- 1974 - An engineering program begins in the region.
- 1979 - The Virginia Cooperative Extension in Arlington County launches
the first Farmer's Market in the area.
- Gary Fernstermacher becomes the fourth director of the graduate center.
- David P. Roselle, dean, Research and Graduate Studies, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- The Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC) establishes the Architecture Consortium which allows participating universities from around the world to send students and faculty members to Alexandria for a semester or academic year.
- The Virginia Tech Foundation purchases two buildings on Patrick Street in Old Town Alexandria. The Rectory houses the American Institute of Architects (AIA) offices and The Gallery serves as a limited capacity dormitory for students in the region.
- Computer Science in the College of Engineering
offers an M.S. in Information Systems.
- George Truman “G.T.” Ward, partner and principal, Ward/Hall Associates, AIA; member, Virginia Tech Board of Visitors; and 1951 Virginia Tech alumnus, spoke at commencement.
- 1987 - William E. Lavery, president, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- 1988 - John M. Perry, executive vice president, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- 1989 - James D. McComas, president, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- 1990 - E. Fred Carlisle, senior vice president and provost, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- The Virginia Tech Foundation sells the building at 101 Columbus Street and purchases a historic
building in Old Town Alexandria, the old schoolhouse at 1001 Prince Street. It becomes the permanent home for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies'
Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the City of Alexandria used the building as a public school until 1980.
- Gary R. Hooper, vice provost, Research, and dean, Graduate School, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- The College of Architecture and Urban Studies' Center for Public Administration and Policy (CPAP) offers an MPA program at Telestar Court.
- J. Lawrence French becomes the sixth director of the graduate center.
- John Eaton, acting dean, Graduate School, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- Judy C. Pearson becomes the seventh director of the graduate center.
- Groundbreaking is held for the Virginia Tech/University of Virginia Northern Virginia Center (NVC) in Falls Church, 7054 Haycock Road.
- Science and Technology Studies is added to Virginia Tech graduate programs in the region.
- Thomas M. Davis III, congressman, United States House of Representatives, spoke at commencement.
- 1996 - Donald S. Beyer Jr. lieutenant governor, Commonwealth of Virginia, spoke at commencement.
- Virginia Tech President Paul Torgersen and University of Virginia President John Casteen III, dedicate the Northern Virginia Center (NVC), a 105,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art graduate center located adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station.
- Peggy Fox, anchor and reporter, 9 News Now, spoke at commencement.
- 1998 - George C. Newstrom, corporate vice president, Electronic Data Systems, spoke at commencement.
- The College of Engineering offers full-time M.S. and Ph.D. programs.
- Vinton G. Cerf, senior vice president, Internet Architecture and Technology, MCI WorldCom, spoke at commencement.
- Virginia Tech establishes Northern Virginia Operations and names James Bohland executive director.
- Richard Worrell becomes the ninth director of the graduate center. Following his death several months later, Karen E. Akers is named the ninth (interim) director.
- The College of Natural Resources names
David Trauger full-time director of the Natural Resources masters program.
- The Center for Food, Nutrition, and Policy (CFNP) serves as a Virginia Tech research center (until 2005).
- The International Institute for Information Technology (IIIT) is formed, led by Leonard Ferrari, vice provost for special initiatives,
with offices in the Alexandria Research Institute (ARI). IIIT later combines with Northern Virginia Operations in 2003.
- Charles W. Steger, president, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- Virginia Tech Northern Virginia Operations moves into new facilities at 1101 King Street in Old Town Alexandria, joined by the Center for Food
Nutrition and Policy (CFNP) and the International Institute for Information Technology (IIIT).
- The Metropolitan Institute (MI) at Virginia Tech launches to conduct basic and applied research on national and international development patterns, focusing on key forces shaping metropolitan growth such as demographics, environment, technology, design, transportation, and governance. It is located in Old Town Alexandria in the King Street offices.
- Karen E. Akers becomes the tenth director of the graduate center.
- Mark McNamee, provost and vice president, Academic Affairs, Virginia Tech, spoke at commencement.
- The Center
for Technology, Security, and Policy launches and
Major General Bruce Lawlor, former chief of staff
for U.S. Department of Homeland Security, as director.
- Virginia Tech and Georgetown University offer a joint
graduate level degree,
Master of Science in Biomedical Technology Development
Tech announces that it will build a major research center in the Ballston area of Arlington, with planned occupancy by late 2010. The seven- story, 144,000-square-foot building will be owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation.
- David L. Trauger, director of the Natural Resources Program and associate dean of the Graduate School gives the first lecture of the Last Lecture Series, sponsored by the National Capital Region Faculty Association on the university’s Reading Day.
- Pierre Thomas, ABC correspondent and 1984 Virginia Tech alumnus, spoke at commencement.
Lechuga receives 2008 Outstanding Staff Award.
- The College of Natural Resources names Michael
Mortimer as director of the Master of Natural Resources program.
- The Virginia Tech Board
of Visitors (BOV) honors Rosary
Lalik and David
Trauger with emeritus status.
- Rosary V. Lalik honored with emerita status.
- Hokies on the Hill internship program is launched, offering undergraduate students an opportunity to gain a full semester’s worth of academic credit while interning on Capitol Hill and participating in small classroom seminars focusing on real world, timely policy topics.
Fontaine is named associate dean of the Graduate School in the National Capital Region and director of the Northern Virginia Center.
- Virginia Tech college of Natural Resources renamed
College of Natural Resources and Environment.
- Gabriella M. Belli, associate professor of Educational Research and Evaluation, gave the third annual Last Lecture, sponsored by the National Capital Region Faculty Association on the university’s Reading Day.
- Debbie Cash receives 2010 Outstanding Staff Award.
- Steve Gladis, president and chief executive officer, Steve Gladis Communications, spoke at commencement.
- Gabriella Belli honored with emerita status.
- In January, the Washington
Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC) expanded its footprint in Old Town, leasing a corner property one block east of its main building on Prince Street. The new property at 901
Prince includes studio, seminar, and office space
for National Capital Region faculty and students in landscape
architecture and architecture.
- G. Wayne Clough, secretary, Smithsonian Institution, and former Virginia Tech professor and dean, College of Engineering, spoke at commencement.
- Barbara Angelotti receives 2011 Outstanding Staff Award.
- Don Leo is named associate vice president for research in the National Capital Region.
- More than 150 members of the scientific community from greater Washington, D.C., gather for a Meet
the Scientists event, organized in the National Capital Region to maximize the opportunities for networking among scientists and to provide a forum for sharing Virginia Tech's research capabilities in the new research center
at the National Capital Region, in Roanoke, and in Blacksburg.
Tech Research Center—Arlington opens to expand
capability for scientific inquiry, extend university footprint
in National Capital Region. A number of already established
Virginia Tech research centers and institutes, previously
located throughout the northern Virginia area, are moved
to the new facility, owned by the Virginia
Tech Foundation. These include the Advanced
Research Center, the Center
for Geospatial Information Technology, the Center
for Society, Culture and Environment, the Center
for Technology, Security and Policy, and the Virginia
The College of Natural Resources and Environment launches the Executive Master of Natural Resources program in Leadership for Sustainability which emphasizes the need for effective partnerships involving interdisciplinary, multi-institutional, and cross-cultural collaboration among business, civil society, and government.
- National Capital Region announces NCR Strategic Plan to build on Virginia Tech’s history and strengths in the region. The plan, created by a committee representing all significant operations units within the region, promotes innovative and efficient use of resources to ensure that the region can support all three pillars of the university: learning, discovery, and engagement.
Virginia Tech offers project management courses in the National Capital Region.
Philip Spellerberg, retired laboratory specialist, receives 2013 Staff Career Achievement Award from Virginia Tech for his work at Occoquan Watershed Monitoring Lab.
Michael Erskine is named interim director of Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center.
Michele "Shelley" Duke of Middleburg, Va., is recognized with Virginia Tech’s highest honor – the William H. Ruffner Medal -- for the substantial difference she has made to the university through her volunteer service and support. Her relationship with Virginia Tech spans more than 20 years and started when she began volunteering for and donating to the Marion DuPont Scott Equine Medical Center, located in Leesburg and part of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. In 2009, she delivered the address for the university's National Capital Region Commencement.
- Jim Wolf, professor emeritus, Center for Public Administration and Policy, gave the Distinguished Lecture, sponsored by the National Capital Region Faculty Association on the university’s Reading Day.
National security expert Austin Yamada spoke at commencement.
Sanjay Raman is named associate vice president for the National Capital Region.
Mark Sorensen receives 2013 Outstanding Staff Award.
James R. Bohland is named interim vice president and executive director for National Capital Region Operations after Don Leo steps down from this position.
With termination of the lease at 901 Prince Street in Old Town Alexandria, the Virginia Tech Foundation purchases a 1,200-square-foot Greek Revival-style building constructed in 1840 at 601 Prince Street, bringing the total number of university buildings to five within a five-block radius. 601 Prince Street houses offices for six to seven faculty members and design studio space for 75 students enrolled in masters and Ph.D. programs in architecture and landscape architecture offered by the College of Architecture and Urban Studies at the Washington-Alexandria Architecture Center.
- Nathan Heavers, assistant professor of Landscape Architecture, recently presented the inaugural Outstanding New Faculty Lecture, sponsored by the National Capital Region Faculty Association.
Larry French is honored with emeritus status.
Kathleen Hancock receives 2015 XCaliber Award for an individual making extraordinary contributions to technology-enriched active learning.
Dr. Michael Erskine named director of Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center.
Tom Grizzard, professor emeritus, civil and environmental engineering, gave the Distinguished Lecture, sponsored by the National Capital Region Faculty Association on the university’s Reading Day.
Venture capitalist Paul Singh spoke at commencement.
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute accepts Outstanding Achievement in Bioscience award from Gov. Terry McAuliffe during a THRiVE 2015 conference in Chantilly, Virginia. THRiVE 2015 was organized by Virginia Bio, a statewide nonprofit trade association representing the life sciences industry in Virginia. Its mission is to connect entrepreneurs with funders, collaborators with partners, and push bioscience in the commonwealth into the 21st century.
Larissa LaCour receives 2015 Outstanding Staff Award.
In 1969, Virginia Tech opens the door to its first graduate center in the region, located in a Reston farmhouse.
Having outgrown space in the Reston farmhouse, Virginia Tech moves its graduate center to the first floor of the Dulles
International Airport Gateway 1 building in 1973.
In 1981, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia move their shared graduate center to Telestar Court in Falls Church.
(left to right) Former Virginia Tech President William
Lavery, former Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation Trustee
Leonard T. Scully, Senator John Warner, Mrs. Jean Ellen
duPont Shehan, University of Maryland President Dr. John
Toll and Dr. G. Frederick Fregin cut the ribbon at the Marion
duPont Scott Equine Medical Center's dedication ceremony
in October 1984.
Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center at 17690 Old Waterford Road at Morven Park
The Virginia Tech Foundation purchases a historic building at 1001 Prince Street in Old Town Alexandria in 1991 to house the College
of Architecture and Urban Studies’ Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the building was
a City of Alexandria public school until 1980.
In 1997, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia dedicates the Northern Virginia Center (NVC), a 105,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art
graduate center located adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station. At the ribbon cutting ceremony (left to right) were: Paul Torgersen,
President, Virginia Tech; John Casteen, President, University of Virginia; Dale Dover, Mayor of Falls Church; Katherine Hanley, Chairman, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors; U.S.
Senator Chuck Robb; U.S. Representative Tom Davis, and Virginia Delegate Bob Hull.
Northern Virgina Center, 7054 Haycock Road, Falls Church.
In 1999, Virginia Tech launches the Alexandria Research Institute (ARI), headquartered at 405 South Washington Street, Old Town Alexandria.
ARI, which provides a platform for engineering and computer science researchers to interact with their counterparts in academia, government,
and industry in the metropolitan DC area, was renamed Advanced Research Institute and moved to Arlington in 2005.
In 2003, the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech and other graduate programs move into a newly-renovated building, purchased by the
Virginia Tech Foundation, at 1021 Prince Street.
The Alexandria Research Institute is renamed Advanced Research Institute and moves from Old Town Alexandria to 4300 Wilson Boulevard in
the Ballston area of Arlington in 2005.
Virginia Tech President Charles Steger addresses graduates at the 25th National Capital Region commencement ceremony in 2005.
The first cohort in the Pamplin College of Business Executive MBA Program graduates in 2005. The graduates are pictured here with former Vice President Walter Mondale who addressed participants and guests during a ceremony at Mount Vernon.
President Charles Steger answers questions during a press event to launch the Energy Efficiency Partnership of Greater Washington in 2007.
Congressman Jim Moran, of Virginia's Eighth Congressional District, was a guest speaker when Virginia Tech President Charles Steger announced in 2008 that Virginia Tech is building a major research center in the Ballston area of Arlington.
Artist rendering of major research center in Ballston, scheduled to open in late 2010.
In 2009, construction begins on Virginia Tech’s major research center in the Ballston area of Arlington. Left to right, Seong K Mun, professor of Physics and research fellow at the Virginia Tech Institute for Advanced Study; Charles Steger, president, Virginia Tech; Jim Bohland, vice president and executive director, Virginia Tech National Capital Region Operations; John Dooley, vice president for Outreach and International Affairs; Ted Settle, director, Office of Economic Development; and Bob Walters, vice president for research visited the site.
Early in 2011, the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center
expanded its footprint in Old Town Alexandria, leasing additional
space at 901 Prince Street.
More than 150 people gathered at the Virginia Tech Research
Center—Arlington in mid-June 2011 to Meet the Scientists
at Virginia Tech and network.
Cutting the ribbon at Virginia Tech Research Center --
Arlington in June 2011 are left to right, Virginia Tech
President Charles W. Steger; Congressman Jim Moran; National
Capital Region Operations Vice President and Executive Director
Jim Bohland, and Arlington County Board Chairman Chris Zimmerman.
Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington at 900
N. Glebe Rd.
Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington at 900 N. Glebe Rd.The Virginia Tech Foundation purchases a historic building at 601 Prince Street in 2013 to expand the College of Architecture and Urban Studies’ Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC) in Old Town Alexandria. Built in 1840 for the Second Presbyterian Church, the structure was extensively remodeled in 1889 by Virginia-born architect and historian Glenn Brown in a Romanesque Revival style. In 1907 the building was featured in a brochure designed for the Alexandria Tercentennial.