Virginia Tech has facilities in seven localities of the National Capital Region:

  • Alexandria
  • Arlington
  • Fairfax
  • Falls Church
  • Leesburg
  • Manassas
  • Middleburg


  • 1021 Prince Street
  • 1001 Prince Street
  • 601 Prince Street

Virginia Tech’s presence in Old Town Alexandria dates back to 1980. Currently the university has three teaching locations on Prince Street and owns two other buildings on Patrick Street – the Rectory houses the American Institute of Architects (AIA) offices and the Gallery serves as a limited capacity dormitory for students in the region.

In 1981, following a successful pilot program in Old Town, the College of Architecture and Urban Studies (CAUS) formally launched the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). In 1985 the Virginia Tech Foundation purchased a building on Columbus Street where the WAAC was located until 1991, the year the Foundation purchased the center’s permanent home at 1001 Prince Street. Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the City of Alexandria used the building as a public school until 1980.

The Rectory and the Gallery on Patrick Street were purchased by the Foundation in 1986.

In 2001 the Virginia Tech Foundation also purchased the building at 1021 Prince Street. In 2003 the Metropolitan Institute (MI) at Virginia Tech was launched to conduct basic and applied research on national and international development patterns and a number of graduate programs moved into the newly renovated building.

The WAAC expanded its footprint in Old Town when the Virginia Tech Foundation purchased an historic building at 601 Prince Street. This building houses offices for up to seven faculty members, design studio space for 75 students, three classrooms of various sizes, collaboration and presentation spaces, and open areas that can accommodate visiting exhibits.


  • 900 N. Glebe Road

Virginia Tech has had a presence in Arlington since 2005 when the Advanced Research Institute (ARI) – launched in Alexandria as the Alexandria Research Institute in 1999 – was renamed and relocated to leased space on Wilson Boulevard in the Ballston area of Arlington.

In June 2011 the university opened the doors of its newly built Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington at 900 N. Glebe Road., designed as a nucleus for discovery to expand the university's capability for new scientific inquiry and to extend its footprint in the National Capital Region. ARI and a number of other already established Virginia Tech research centers and institutes, previously located throughout the northern Virginia area, moved to this facility. In close proximity to government agencies and other public and private-sector organizations, the Ballston location offers great opportunity for partnerships with corporate research entities.

The research center is owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation.

Research in the center is organized around five focused themes: Cyber-security; Medical Technologies and imaging; Policy Informatics; Alternative Energy; and Global, National and Community Security.


  • 2677 Prosperity Ave., Suite 600

The Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute (LCI), providing language-related programs and services for academic and professional development both in Blacksburg and in the National Capital Region, opened a new state-of-the-art learning center in northern Virginia in 2014.

Located at 2677 Prosperity Ave., Suite 600, in Fairfax, Va., just minutes from the nation’s capital, the center is only one block from the Dunn Loring-Merrifield Metro stop on the Orange Line.

The facility consists of 12,500 total square feet in a completely renovated setting and features a computer lab outfitted with the latest language-learning technology; classrooms designed specifically for language courses; “collaboration rooms” for group projects or presentations; and a conference room featuring a 70-inch Mondopad interactive touch display.

Part of Virginia Tech Outreach and International Affairs, LCI contributes to the university's diversity and intellectual capacity by helping to attract the best and brightest international students, scholars, and professionals. The institute hosts over 500 students per year from more than 30 countries spanning the globe, served by 75 professional faculty, instructors, and staff.

LCI has been located in the National Capital Region since 2009. Prior to the move to Fairfax in 2014, it was housed at the Northern Virginia Center in Falls Church.

Falls Church

  • 7054 Haycock Road

In 1969 Virginia Tech launched its first northern Virginia graduate center in a Reston, Va., farmhouse, not far from Falls Church. Having outgrown that space by 1973, Virginia Tech moved to shared space with the University of Virginia on the first floor of the Dulles International Airport Gateway 1 building. In 1981, the two universities moved their graduate centers to Telestar Court in Falls Church where they remained for the next 16 years.

Then, in 1997, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia dedicated the Northern Virginia Center (NVC), 7054 Haycock Road, a 105,000-square-foot building located adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station.

Administrative offices for the center and for the Graduate School in the National Capital Region are headquartered in the Falls Church facility.


  • 17690 Old Waterford Road

In September 2009 the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center (EMC), at 17690 Old Waterford Road at Morven Park, celebrated its 25th anniversary as a teaching hospital in Leesburg. Located in the heart of Virginia thoroughbred country, it has since become a premier full-service equine hospital that offers advanced specialty care, 24-hour emergency treatment and diagnostic services for all ages and breeds of horses.

The EMC is one of three campuses of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, with board certified veterinarians in anesthesia, internal medicine, and surgery, as well as veterinarians in residency training programs, and licensed veterinary technicians. About 2600 horses are admitted to the center each year.

Throughout the year, the center offers a variety of community education and networking events for veterinarians, horse owners, and horse professionals.

The EMC was made possible through a gift from the late Mrs. Marion duPont Scott, the donation of 200 acres of land at Morven Park from the Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation, and contributions from the private sector.


  • 9408 Prince William Street

In 1972 Virginia Tech established the Occoquan Watershed Monitoring Laboratory (OWML) at 9408 Prince William Street. The OWML is responsible for making determinations in a number of areas critical to the ongoing management of water quality in the Occoquan watershed, which is situated on the southwestern periphery of the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C. The basin encompasses six political subdivisions, which include portions of four counties and the entire land area of two independent cities.

Research projects at the OWML are conducted jointly with Virginia Tech faculty and investigators from a wide range of other institutions, including other research universities and public agencies both in the Commonwealth of Virginia and elsewhere.

Since its founding, the Occoquan Watershed Monitoring program has built a successful hydrologic and water quality data acquisition and analysis system that forms the basis of regional watershed management decision-making. The system has made it possible for the local governments of northern Virginia to successfully deal with the competing uses of urban development (and the attendant wastewater discharges and urban runoff) and public water supply in a critical watershed-impoundment system.


  • 5527 Sullivans Mill Road

A 420-acre farm in the heart of northern Virginia's hunt country, the Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension (MARE) Center at 5527 Sullivans Mill Road was donated with a supporting grant to Virginia Tech in 1949 by the late Paul Mellon and his wife. For 40 years, the facility was used mainly for beef cattle research. In 1992, the MARE Center was rededicated to equine research.

Since then the MARE Center has been instrumental in advancing the frontier of knowledge related to the care and well-being of the horse. Many of today's common practices regarding equine nutrition, growth and development, pasture management and exercise physiology were developed as a result of research conducted at the center.

In 2010, continuing to forward Mellon's vision, Virginia Tech launched a unique learning experience for graduate and undergraduate students. Participants in Virginia Tech's new Equine Studies Program at Middleburg contribute to all aspects of a large-scale research facility, outreach center, and commercial equine enterprise while simultaneously engaging in a full semester of coursework. This immersive learning environment is designed for those students with a sincere desire to become leaders in the horse industry, academia, or the veterinary sciences. Students also have the opportunity to enroll in summer internship programs and independent research projects at the center, distance learning courses, and study abroad programs.

Faculty at the MARE Center have teamed up with Virginia Tech's School of Education and Department of Agricultural and Extension Education to design and assess new teaching and learning strategies for equine science education.